FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is JAL racist? Please read my story....
View Single Post
Old Aug 1, 2009, 11:24 am
peloton

Programs: JAL Global Club Sapphire
It's not so much JAL as discrimination is acceptable in Japan

I spend 80% of my time in Japan and 20% in the US. I am an American married to a Japanese. First, I can't comment if the original poster experienced discrimination or incompetent service. But both are wrong for premium on a Japanese airline.

First an aside... how was the OP dressed? Japanese have certain stereotypes about neatness and Americans and other Westerners. Japanese, especially people in Tokyo, even wear ties and sport jackets on the weekends. If OP was in a premium cabin in jeans, t-shirt and had bare feet, I can see FA's feeling not so good about it.

Now for the more macro situation. Discrimination is legal in Japan. Yes, it's unconstitutional but not illegal. There are no laws against it. In housing, health clubs, restaurants, hotels, they can just shake their head no if you are a foreigner and THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. A person who meticulously blogs about this is Arudo Debito.

Japanese often will not swim in the same pool or hot spring as Western people. I was prohibited from joining a health club because I am a foreigner on the outskirts of Kobe and they even handed me a letter in both languages explaining that I couldn't join because I was a foreignger.

Being married to a Japanese woman, I have seen with her and her peers significant negative attitudes towards other Asians. Older Japanese often feel that "gaijin" are "dirty" (hence not wanting to swim with them).

My wife can not take my Western name in Japan without having her family history record obliterated. And without her family history she may not get a job as they check to see if you are the "right type of person."

This gets into the secret caste system (look up burakumin on the internet) where people whose families came from butchers or leather workers were considered unclean. Their descendents today still are encouraged to live in certain neighborhoods in Osaka and Kobe (but are encouraged to assimilate in Tokyo)- this is a topic that is NEVER brought up in pubic with Japanese people although the New York Times wrote about it recently.

OK - back to the OP. You may have or have not been the recipient of discrimination. My point is that it is endemic to the culture but international staff of JAL and ANA should have it trained out of them.

What to do? In the future, keep in mind the worst penalty for all Japanese is public embarrassment. CALL THEM ON IT WHILE IT IS HAPPENING- loud enough so the next person can hear but in a nice voice.

"Excuse me- I am wondering if there is a reason why I do not seem to be getting the service that others are getting on this flight. I realize I don't speak Japanese but is this because I am a foreign customer? They will turn 15 shades of color, walk away and then the most senior person will come back and start taking care of you I suspect.

I was on ANA C full fare one way once- bought through United's site as it was $2000 cheaper-although it was still a $4000 one way ticket to NY. I was told -not asked that the Japanese meal wouldn't be available to me and had to have a Western meal. I was the only one told this. So I said, "is that because I am the United customer today?" She turned fifteen shades of color left in a huff and then a senior person said I could have whatever meal I want and the crew would have to change their selections but not me as a customer.......damn right......

fly both Japanese airlines a lot- overall it is a privilege compared to US airlines. Remember being a FA is the highest honor a Japanese woman can have-it is more respected in society than her being a doctor (literally). The total opposite to the role in the US. For the most part, Japanese airlines are amazing. But, sometimes the culture intrudes..........Your weapon is to not lose your cool but let them know they are putting themselves in an "embarrassing situaiton" that hurts how others perceive their professionalism.