FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies
Old Jul 30, 2009, 1:09 pm
smcgrath12

Programs: OP, SPG, Amex MR
For CO (and I am no expert), I have a non-refundable ticket. I booked it on 25-Feb-2009. The travel dates on the ticket are Nov 18 to Nov 24 2009. It is in my name and it is international going to GUA.

I would like to cancel it and use the ticket for my wife and kid. Can I do it online? From my understanding, I can only use the cancelled ticket in my name. I found a throw-away fare for SAT-IAH for 08/21 for $61 (which I don't intend to travel on). So, I can cancel the original ticket, pay $150 in change fee and buy the $61 ticket in my name. After that the remaining balance will be issued to me as a voucher which can then be used for my wife and kid. Can I do all this online or do I have to call? Also, what will be the expiration date on the issued voucher if I cancel and book the $61 fare today? Thanks.

PS: I see 2 buttons when I pull my reservation. One is "Cancel" and the other is "Change flights". Which one do I use?

(I posted this Q on CO OP, but nobody replied, I should have posted it here anyways as this is TY points related).