FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "We are looking for volunteers." "No, we're not!"
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:03 pm
GoAmtrak

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
"We are looking for volunteers." "No, we're not!"

As reported in this thread, DEN now finally has EasyInfo monitors at the gates. Last night, I tried to get bumped from 741 DEN-SFO, for which EasyInfo had the "We are looking for volunteers" message. So, I jumped in line, and wound up wasting the GA's and other passengers' time after he told me that he in fact was not seeking volunteers. I quickly commented that the screen said he was. But he was on the phone, there were other folks behind me, and I didn't want to be any more of a burden than I already was by inquiring further.

So, is this one of the quirks of EasyInfo that's not controlled by the GA, like the countdown to boarding that's not always accurate? Does the volunteer-seeking message trigger when the flight is oversold by a certain amount? It just boggles the mind that the screen would automatically display inaccurate info like that without GA approval -- info that, as I said, had the effect of me wasting everyone's time. Or maybe the GA accidentally hit a wrong button? Or maybe bugs specific to the system at DEN are still being worked out?