FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is JAL racist? Please read my story....
View Single Post
Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:47 am
anaggie

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Caucasians -- more so European-Caucasian males -- on some Asian airlines are known for getting better service from flight crew than non-Asian and non-European Caucasian customers on those flights. Being a female and a non-Euro-Caucasian and/or non-Asian has often been an invitation to lesser service. Being non-Japanese has been an invitation to lesser service from Japanese airlines in some cases. Racism and sexism are rampant on some airlines still but there are also times when it's lack of confidence in language ability that results in poor service. It takes a keen eye to tell the difference in circumstances.
I really do not believe that it is a language barrier on JAL....I hate to say it, but it is outright racism especially towards the non-caucasian group -- dark skinned people.

3 yrs ago, I flew JAL to HKG in J and my brother and I were completely ignored on the upper deck for the whole flight. I asked for an extra dessert after everything was done, and she just said no. It took forever to get our drinks and then some.

Since then, I have refused to fly JAL.