FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To E or not to E?
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:46 pm
incognism

Programs: AC*P, SPG
To E or not to E?

I'm going to prefix this by saying this is one of those "Should I go for E" posts that invariably will bring some people to comment that "it depends on your travel patterns". What I'm planning to do is list out my scenario and travel patterns. Should this thread somehow offend you (wasting server space or whatnot), feel free to click the "back" button now.

Anyways, here is the gist of it:

Scenario:
I'm currently sitting at 19,098 status miles right now. I have an upcoming YVR-HKG trip in late Aug-early Sept.

I'm planning to take advantage of the $315 AI (T+, S bucket) YVR-HKG OW fare that is on right now. For my return date, only Z is available ($1499+). Total comes out to $1881.XX.

Provided that I book in the above fare classes I would get 6370 SM for YVR-HKG, and then 9555 SM (6370 * 150%) for HKG-YVR, correct?

That would bring me to 35,023 SM, thus qualifying for early E recognition for 2009 and then E for 2010 as well.

My other option is to fly YVR-HKG OW on AC, and then join my long-time girlfriend on JAL biz class (who has already bought her ticket) for the return (for roughly the same price).

Travel Patterns:
I've been flying YVR-HKG about once (or even twice) a year. I also do some US travel flying out of SEA (not carrier specific). I'm leaving a full-time job to go back to school to finish the final year of my Bachelor of Arts, which means that my travel budget will be significantly cut until at least April 2010.

It'd be nice to have a couple of SSWU in my pocket provided that I make the YVR-HKG trip again next year. That being said, since my girlfriend won't have any certs for herself, it'd be upgrading both of us for one direction only. That also, means that I'd have to play Aerolotto with a 4-day window on a typically busy route (correct?). Does anybody have experience upgrading on this route?

I've also pinpointed the benefits that would be applicable to me. Have I missed anything?
  • MLL and *A Lounges (when on *A ticket)
  • 2 SSWU for 2009 and then 2 SSWU for 2010
  • Priority Check-in
  • Priority Baggage
  • MLL Guest Passes

I didn't include SWUs and NAUs because I don't think I'll honestly ever fly on a YMU fare, and I'm not banking on this T+ promotion to repeat next year.

Have I missed anything in this analysis? I know ultimately, I have to value if E is worth not flying with my girlfriend back home (I'm not flying with her on the way there either, just for reference), but I just wanted to make sure that I have all the right information before making this decision.

To summarize:

Is my calculation for the YVR-HKG status miles correct?
Does anybody have any anecdotes re: upgrading YVR-HKG?
Have I missed any relevant E or *G privileges?

Thanks in advance!