FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bill Maher questions Janet Napolitano on validity of TSA
Old Jul 26, 2009, 1:16 pm
rustyhaight

Programs: CO 1k. Still proudly carry PSA Executive Flyer smile not the fake USAir "grin!"
Originally Posted by GUWonder
He's no more representative of "the media" than Rush Limbaugh is representative of "the media". We get "the media" that the public -- or at least a large segment of it -- wants.
Perhaps I should make it clear, media - as I was using it - would reflect more than the "mainstream news media" anymore, I was being more inclusive because the public forms their opinions based on more than the "mainstream" news: take Jon Stewart as an example. Sadly, you're right, it is "the media" too large a segment of the public wants rather than fact based information (or news...).

But when people like Maher - yes, as more of a liberal than libertarian - or Jon Stewart can get "real newsmakers" on their shows for "interviews, " those "newsmakers" know (a) they're getting softball, liberally biased questions and know (b) they won't be challenged like they might otherwise be, ok, by "Limbaugh" (which doesn't mean he wouldn't softball, say, an interview with Chertoff - yes, I get that).

My point was, here, Maher had an opening with her "that's for me to know..." non-answer to his question "I fly less because I don't like these restrictions, when can I carry stuff like shampoo on" BUT he let it go. I cannot imagine anyone saying, with a straight face, that if Chertoff had said that in response to Maher, he would have let it go and would not have said something like "Whoa, Skeltor, isn't that sort of thing that's important for the traveling public - the people who are traveling less because of these 'secret strong arm practices' - something they want to know and should know??"