FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CAMBODIA: The Ponheary Ly Foundation
View Single Post
Old Jul 26, 2009, 1:11 pm
hiyo

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Originally Posted by wired2theworld
Hiyo-
I am so thrilled to see someone write about Koh Ker school and the Ponheary Ly foundation. It is such a worthy cause and deserves all the attention it can get.

I've known Ponheary since my husband and I toured with her in 2002. My mother and I went to Cambodia and visited Koh Ker school in December 2007 when the foundation was still considering adopting it. Before we'd left the US, we'd collected $2400 in donations from family and friends and once we got to the school, while a dollar goes a long way there, we could see it was just a drop in the bucket.

What has happened there since 2007 is nothing short of a miracle. Kids are learning. Kids are graduating. It's amazing what love, money and attention can do for a child.

I was just in Vietnam and met up with Lori in Saigon. She told me the story of your trip out to the school and the Polaroids. Small world, eh?

Thanks for focusing attention on this worthy project.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, wired2theworld. As a result of talking to Lori before leaving for the region, I found some of your posts on another travel board, which led me to your excellent website. I think you will find FT is a wonderful, useful community for those who travel.

Here's a LINK to the PLF newsletter article about our trip to Koh Ker. I also have video and my wife photos of the day. We are still sorting through all the footage, but I will post soon.

As you say, it is stunning how much can be done, with what to us may not be much money. The day with the kids and teachers at Koh Ker, along with Ponheary and Lori and the doctor, was amazing and unforgettable. The transformation in the children over the past two years is, in a word, miraculous.

I hope to see more of you on FlyerTalk, and I hope you continue to keep writing your insightful and entertaining website. When I first read it, I was a little shocked at how many travel philosophies and practices we have in common. I will leave it to you to post a link, or put same in your signature line.

Welcome again and safe travels.

Last edited by hiyo; Jul 26, 2009 at 1:17 pm