FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - amsterdam airport meeting point
View Single Post
Old Jul 24, 2009, 4:07 pm
SpinzCity

Programs: DL Million Miler
>>>>>If I have 4 hours to kill in AMS, I'd go into the city instead of sitting around at the airport.

Me too every time. Though if I am kind of tired, instead of taking the train into Amsterdam, I pick up a strippenkaart at the newsagent close to the train-ticketing booths, then walk out the door, and catch the #300 Zuidtangent bus to Haarlem centrum, spend 90 minutes there (easily appreciated in that length of time, and much more approachable than Amsterdam), then catch the bus back to Schiphol. The bus trip is great on its own, because of the technology that provides it tunnels, rights-of-way, and exclusive lanes in the city, right through the countryside. Haarlem is very easy to navigate and enjoy, and (as Rick Steves touts) is what people were actually hoping Amsterdam would be like! The market right by where the #300 bus stops downtown has a great fish kiosk, and also stands selling aged gouda (with salty/protein crystillations) at as little as 8e a KILO. The picture-book center is a 5 minute walk from the Centrum bus stop. Easy in, easy out - - Haarlem is very doable, even for the vastly jet-lagged.