FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ibiza
Thread: Ibiza
View Single Post
Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:46 pm
dollaroff

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Hopefully dollaroff will also post his Ibiza thoughts as soon as he returns.
I had a fantastic time in Ibiza. However, I was planning to go to Ibiza for the discos and the DJs. I could have cared less about the gay scene there.

I went to the following discos: Privilege, Amnesia, Pacha and Space (5 total nights). None of them were for gay nights either. I met gay guys at everyone of those nights. But, those nights were not anything near a circuit club; they're very str8 (not even "mixed"). I was planning to go to Amnesia for a gay night, but I was way too tired to go out that night.

The discos are very expensive, but I knew that going into my trip. First, they're expensive of the Dollar->Euro conversion (60€ becomes $90), and second, you do it almost every night. If you go to a circuit party in the States, you're spending $50-$100 for your ticket. When I go to Avalon on a normal Saturday night, I spend somewhere between $15-$35 (maybe even guest list for free) for entry. Overall, gay circuit parties usually have a higher cover than a similar str8 dance event.
But, we got guest listed twice, and got discounts the rest of the time.

Also, I prefer non-vocal house music when I go out dancing which is the opposite of what most circuit DJs play. Danny Tengalia was supposed to have a residency at Space on Thursdays, but cancelled (thankfully, I saw him again at Avalon in June). No other similar DJs played in Ibiza when I was there (like Victor Calderone or Peter Rauhofer).

Wiredboy10003 and I had a fun time one night going to a bunch of different small gay bars and drinking, but it's not a very "gay" neighboorhood.

We stayed in Playa d' en Bossa where our flat was right on the beach. There was no need to find any other beaches on the island. I know there are gay (nude?) beaches, but I would hit them up in BCN/Sitges instead.

Based on my friends were discussing (and if you're single), probably Sitges is better if you want gay beaches and to easily meet gays (rather than Ibiza or Mykonos).

I also went to Mykonos on my trip, and I felt this way: You go to Spain to find a man, and take him to Greece for a holiday. For me, Spain was better to meet single people my age, and in Mykonos, everyone was nice, but either coupled (and looking for fun with couples), or at least 10y+ older than me. Mykonos has a big barrier to entry for the cost to get there.

Would I go back? Absolutely! But, again, I have a different focus than others here. I loved BCN too, and I can't wait to return.

Last edited by dollaroff; Jul 23, 2009 at 9:52 pm