FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maldive's best hotel
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:01 am
vuittonsofstyle

Originally Posted by xracer
Your assumption that the FS resort in the Maldives (and I'm talking Landaa Giraavaru here, not Kuda Huraa) has a sub-par beach and house reef is incorrect. The beach is wonderful and the house reef is also quite decent.

Reethi Rah also has wonderful beaches, but they are man made - and no real house reef to speak of.
Quite right - FS Landaa Giraavaru has beautiful beaches, as do other resorts in the Baa Atoll.

Perhaps the best reef (though not necessarily THE best resort) is Como Hotels' Coco Island, but I always think of this as more of a couples sort of place - unique accommodation in dhoni fixed-moored boats with stacks of space, very good spa and food.

Amazed you liked Huvafen Fushi, but then, if this was your first Maldives experience, then I suppose it is understandable. There are so many better options than this - Four Seasons certainly (Kuda Huraa is very good for kids, but less good for snorkeling), O&O Reethi Rah (superb for kids, and with 12 beaches, superb for everyone, but less good for diving/snorkeling), Taj Exotica (very well run, not as expensive, but probably better for couples - a bit close to Malé, but diving boats take you further afield every day), Soneva Fushi (good for kids, very rustic, good diving/snorkeling and also in Baa Atoll), Soneva Gili (overwaters, stunning location fairly close to Malé, but not a great diving/snorkeling site - a unique experience though). Banyan Tree (cramped tiny island with very small accommodation and poor food - you go stir crazy after a day).

The other resorts you mention should, IMHO, be avoided, apart maybe from Shangri-La, which I have yet to try - a bit big for my liking but pictures look interesting and I am sure it would be a kid-friendly place. Don't forget this means a second flight from Malé.