FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nightmare at MHT - a not-so-frequent flyer meets airport security
Old Jul 13, 2009, 6:44 pm
StarAllianceFanatic

Programs: UA Global Services, Continental, Marriott, Starwood & Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz P.C.
Originally Posted by AngelMcD
That's exactly what I was thinking! I grew up very close to MHT and continue to use that airport whenever I go home. I have always encountered the most pleasant and helpful TSO's, including a notable one who helped me recover my driver's license that I had dropped into a heating vent on Christmas Day!
My experience has been the complete opposite. TSA at MHT is so over the top, I often fly out of Boston just to avoid them adding an hour drive. A few weeks ago I had an experience with TSA at MHT that still has me shaking my head.

The BDO was cutting her teeth and decided to pick on me. She started by asking me questions before I had even had my boarding pass and ID checked. I answered her questions but wasn't particularly chatty. I had one back pack with a laptop. Before getting in line, I took my watch, silver money clip, cell phone, and wallet except my drivers license off and put them in my computer bag. Shoes on the conveyor (not in a tray), computer out, backpack layed flat, No SSSS on my boarding pass. I went through the metal detector without any alarms, but was told to wait for secordary screening. Fine. While I am standing their, the BDO takes my belongings behind the barrier. I asked they they be kept plainly visable to me while I was screened. The BDO was obviously offended by this remark and argued with me. I stood my ground and things escalated. After having every square inch of my body hand wanded and frisked, I went over to watch the inspection of my property.

This is where things went south. A second TSO (I'll call him Wookie because that is what he looks like) came and started asking me all kinds of personal questions:
  • Where I was going
  • Why I was going there
  • Who I worked for
  • Where I worked before
  • Where I worked before that
  • Where I live
  • How long I have lived there
  • Where I lived before that
  • What political party I support
  • Whether I was an athlete
  • What team I played for
  • Why I was carrying so much cash

The questions were completely out of line. I answered those that I thought were relevant for the security screening process. The others I asked why such inappropriate questions were being asked. Their response "we are trying to be more friendly". Ultimately, I answered every question but political party that I support but made it clear that I objected to the nature of the questions. The wookie called his supervisor because he said I was being difficult. Meanwhile, the BDO and TSO went through every single item in my backpack. My wallet with 20 credit cards, they took every single one out and looked at it. They went through everything. Opened everything. I don't have a problem with this as much as the questions I was asked, but still, I wasn't happy with the entire process. I told the supervisor that I couldn't see what two different people were doing at the same time. All told, it was 35 minutes from getting my BP stamped to having my belongings returned to me to repack. The supervisor actually told his TSO's to speed it up, not because of the unreasonable and intentional delay that was being caused because he said "it was now creating a distraction in the screening area."

The kicker was that I was missing $100 bill from my money clip. I immediately complained to yet another supervisor. He was argumentative, then called for the supervisor and local police. At this point in time, it was getting very close to flight time and I could not afford to miss my flight. I was told I needed to fill out a report and that doing so would definitely cause me to miss my flight. I made my displeasure known to the police and the supervisor who both said they would check the tape and they had enough information and that I could go. The supervisor said "well no wonder you got searched, you are sweating." I said: "Yes, well, I am diabetic and hypoglycemic and was hoping to get something to eat before getting on my flight but thanks to this circus that won't be possible."

I was the last one on the flight and barely made it. There was a lot more money at stake for me if I missed the flight than $100, but I never heard another peep about my money.

The general feeling I get at MHT with TSA is that they are overstaffed and bored and that they are over the top. Never a problem at any other airport, but MHT has some issues.

The fact that the questions posed to me were even uttered by TSA is unforgivable. The supervisor reiterated that they were trying to be friendly. I said I have enough friends and it is impossible to be friends with someone who has control over whether or not you are able to make a living if they get a hair across their a..!! I also reiterated that I am happy to cooperate in any way and answer any relevant questions but that I shouldn't have to answer questions about every employer I have had in the past 20 years and how I voted in the last election.

I almost turned around and went to the main security entrance when the BDO started asking me questions...and I regret I did not.

The agency is out of control and needs oversight from congress. What happened to me is un-American and totally inappropriate. It was a clear abuse of authority. Maybe Janet Napolitano's threat to investigate anyone that went to a tea party met me head on.

Boston had two aircraft depart from there on 9/11. They are thorough without being over the top. MHT has issues and the Londonderry police make it worse by being unwilling to hear the other side of the story. Their job is to seek justice, not to tell the passenger they are always wrong and to shut up and take whatever abuse they want to dish out at you.

Don't really have any idea about how to address this?! For now, I am just venting on FT. The only good thing I have heard about TSA at MHT is that during the political debates, they did secondary screening on Katie Couric and that she was completely pissed off. If they really were concerned with our safety, couldn't they find a way to keep her off the air!! :-)

Last edited by StarAllianceFanatic; Jul 13, 2009 at 7:03 pm