FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to play the *A stopover in Egypt?
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2009, 1:15 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Does Air France or KLM fly out of LXR? You might be able to do an open-jaw and not have to trek back up to CAI. Since MS (EgyptAir) is a *A airline, you'd probably have to buy that segment.

Most people I've spoken to have said to fly EgyptAir between your various internal stops: apparently the train can be quite time-consuming.

We finally got our flights booked: flying first to LXR for a week and then CAI for four nights. Contemplating whether to go further south - Aswan, Abu Simbel, etc. - and how to do it. Possibly a 4-day cruise and a paid flight back to LXR. I've heard mixed opinions on cruises - some say you can see more by booking custom land excursions and not spending time on a boat.

Since we're on *A awards, we are allowed to tweak that middle MS LXR-CAI flight if we want to. I haven't yet figured out if that's the right mix of days in the south vs. days in Cairo. Part of me wants to flip it to 6 and 5 and do a five-night Marriott or SPG award in Cairo.

I'm sure we will do a few nights at the Sheraton Luxor. It's a Category 1 (!) that gets acceptable reviews from the FT crowd.