FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge
Old Jul 11, 2009, 7:44 pm
TrojanHorse
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
When I fill a rental (assuming I'm relatively close to the return facility) for the last time, I keep the car ignition on to the battery that shows me how full its getting. As soon as it gets to touching the F I kill it and bring it back with it touching the F and show them the receipt, I say the pump stopped there so it must be full or there is a problem with you car.. never a problem after that

Originally Posted by traveling_again
That's my biggest gripe since Budget/Avis started this program. I almost always drive the more than 75 miles, so the original rip-off part doesn't hit me.

But about half the time now when I pick up a car, it is already a hair below F. I almost always suck it up since it normally well above a 7/8 line. But I do a slow burn since I picture the previous renter getting stuck with a double-charge for burning like $5 of gas and I get stuck paying for the gas.

Another 1/4 of my rentals the needle dives sharply from F as I drive away. I make a point of filling the car at what I expect to be the half way mark of the rental. No shocker, I always "use" 1 or 2 more gallons on the outbound than on my return.

This is all new since the program started, I really thing the big rip-off is they charge low mileage renters that fee, yet they don't top the car off unless it is below something like 15/16 full.