FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Guam Resort & Spa {GUM}
View Single Post
Old Dec 12, 2002, 5:48 pm
SPN Lifer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I called the Hilton from the President's Club, and was told where to pick up the shuttle.

(I thought it was free. If I had known it would have cost five dollars, I would have walked the hour down to Tumon Bay and the hotel! I only had a little gym bag with dress work clothes for the next day.)

There are several good restaurants at the hotel. One is a high-end place. I tend to be on the thrifty side and enjoyed the delicious all-you-can-eat buffet lunch in a glass-roofed terrace (I hope it survived the typhoon) toward the ocean below the lobby, at a very reasonable price.

I recall a good Italian restaurant within short walking distance north along hotel row, a small place on the right hand side, but can't say if it's still there. There are a lot more very good restaurants about a mile or two further up the road, where the greatest concentration of hotels are. You could also walk along the beach. I'm not the best resource for restuarants; there are several online sites.

But if you like jogging, and want to explore the jungles, I'd highly recommend the Agana Branch of the Hash House Harriers at 4:00 p.m. Saturday afternoons.

http://www.hashguam.com/

Tell them "Leave It" of the Saipan Hash sent you.

I'm not much of a shopper, either, and do like walking, so my answer might not mean much.

There is still a shuttle bus, not run by the hotel but by the stores (?) or a private company that makes a loop past all the stores. My wife took it while I was working.

The K-Mart is still the world's largest, and open 24 hours daily. The shuttle also goes to the Micronesia Mall, which I highly recommend for its huge variety. The Guam Premium Outlet has a Ross with very low clothing prices. The bus goes to all of these, plus Cost-U-Less (like Costco).

I generally rent a car because of business downtown in Hagåtña.

And if you do get to Saipan, our SH3 runs are sometimes quite interesting.

http://www.huffypuffy.com/