FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Guam Resort & Spa {GUM}
View Single Post
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:25 pm
SPN Lifer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
See Supertyphoon Pongsona aftermath on GUM and ROP
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263772

The Pacific Daily News (PDN) articles are not archived, though there is a special section on the storm.

This month is probably not the time to visit Guam unless you have to, but check the PDN online. The people of Guam and the hotels have every incentive to fix things quickly, and they do. This storm was much, much stronger than Hurricane Andrew that devastated Southern Florida or Hurricane Iniki in Kauai, HI in the early 90s, but such storms hit the Mariana Islands several times a decade, with over a dozen "smaller" typhoons. You have to be resilient living here.

Sorry, kawoh, the Saipan garment factories sell directly to distributors, not to the public.

There is a Guam Hilton hotel shuttle van, but it's not free. When I last stayed there on 20 Aug 02, it cost $5, which they will bill to your room if you ask. Still, that's much better than a taxi. It picks you up at the arrivals area to the left of the rental car zone.

I think the Hilton's location at the south end of Tumon Bay is one of its strongest selling points if you are going to leave Hotel Row, such as for business in Hagåtña (via rental car or having a colleague pick you up).

It is next to Ypao Beach park and just a short ride up the hill to Chalan San Antonio, St. Anthony's Church, Cost-U-Less (bulk food), Guam Premium Outlet (intersection of Chalan San Antonio and Marine Drive), etc.

I am only a Hilton Gold, and easy to please, but I have always been very impressed with the courteous service, though things tend to run on "island time" (the opposite of military punctuality and efficiency).

Because so many of the tourists on Guam come from Japan, if you want a non-smoking room, you have to so indicate when you make your reservation, and when you check in, and perhaps even after you get to your smoky room and return to the lobby for reassignment. So if that's as important to you as it is to me, be forewarned and careful, but polite. They just don't seem used to militant non-smokers.

I hope you eventually make the trip out here!

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Oct 23, 2004 at 1:42 am Reason: revise link in "new" bulletin board format