FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe
Old Oct 29, 2002, 3:25 am
apx068

Hi there,
It is a cultural thing. Mrs apx068 is a Romanian and in the winter the Romanians heat thier houses to levels I find really unpleasant. If there is even the slightest draught of cool air from outside it is a disaster! They *really* like the house sealed up and hot.

Side note: Mrs apx068 and baby apx068 are out there with the family for a few weeks. Mrs apx068 has to wake up at 1am and discreetly turn off the heating in the apartment to avoid seriously overcooking our baby daughter!

The "logic" seems to be if the outside temperature drops, the inside temperature must rise. I've been outside where it has been well below freezing and inside is like a New Orleans summer. Ouchie!

On a similar cultural thing, Mrs apx068 has asked me why the Americans set thier air conditioning to a constant (cool) temperature rather than just trimming 10 degrees off the outside temperature.

apx068's take on life:
If travelling to the USA in the summer - take a ski-jacket to deal with the air conditioning.

If travelling to Eastern Europe in the depth of winter, remember to pack T-shirts and a small fan.

Isn't the world a fun place?
Jason