FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's the Star Alliance Gold Lounge in Dubai like?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 8:28 am
mecabq

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by andylogan
Has anyone used the DXB *A lounge lately?

I leave on a 0130 LH flight in July to FRA.

Are the above statements still accurate? *G get access to F section of the LH lounge?

Also:

How long will checkin take at DXB?
Any immigration procedures leaving?

Thanks!
It hasn't changed. I've been there twice in the last two weeks (flying to IAD and VIE), and been underwhelmed again. It is small, with only cold snacks and a decent liquor section. It also has a minimal selection of English-language periodicals. Of course the Emirates lounges put it to shame.

I was not aware that *G had access to the first-class side (which is separated from the other side by a partition, with only seating and a couple of food items exclusively on that side). The signs don't indicate that *G have access, and I didn't even think to ask. I will check next time, but thanks for the tip, Dan72.

(I prefer the Irish Pub, near gate 123 close by. It is the Dubai airport's version of the seedy sailor bar, sort of, but has about a dozen beers of all styles on tap, pretty good food, good prices, and smoking allowed. I find it a nice respite when I am in the Middle East for months at a time.)

As for the airport, it can take a bit of time, as your (and most other *A) flights leave at the peak time for that airport. You go through an x-ray and metal detector first, which is usually not a long line but has no dedicated entrance for premium-class or status passengers. Then check-in will be fast with the dedicated *G counters, immigration could be 15 minutes at most, but then security is fast since it's right after security and there is usually no line because immigration is the bottleneck. Then there is a long walk/people-mover to the gate area. There are no special procedures; you just proceed to passport control after checking in.

(One tip: You don't need to go to the specific check-in area designated for your flight. They have areas A, B, C, D, etc., each with its own pre-check-in x-ray. But they all lead to the same place, and no one checks your itinerary, so if there is a significant difference in the lines, which is often the case, you can just choose the shortest one. This is especially true if you already have your boarding pass.)