FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man detained for his writings.
View Single Post
Old Jun 28, 2009, 3:42 pm
AngryMiller

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
It can. What if said document contained instructions on how to mix the right amounts of liquids and gels (say, shampoo and chapstick) to create an explosive? Could the TSA argue that they were going through the guy's materials to make sure they did not contain materials that could be used in travel-related terrorism?

It's a very slippery slope. Next thing you know they will prohibit certain reading material, starting with explosive-making recipes, then aircraft operating handbooks, then pilot training books, then maps, then pictures of buildings, and on and on. And of course, to make sure you don't being any of these dangerous items, they will have to read your papers.

Then they'll realize you can bring all those docs on your laptop or phone or Kindle, and they will have to ban those too.

It's the slippery slope towards flying naked.

My stance is that we have to accept the risk that people may carry bomb-making instructions. If we don't accept that risk the TSA will allege that they can read our documents, and the we go further down the slippery slope. That's why it's important to fight all these intrusions, and fight them hard, now.
I once had a copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook. Nearly everything they wrote about in that book was illegal. Was once asked if I was an anarchist because of having a copy of the book. Told them it was a book and that I realized that everything in the book was illegal. Was asked why I have the book and responded with 'if I had a copy of Das Kapital would that make me a communist?'

Funny thing was that the cookbook was compiled from other, less intimidating books available in the public library.