FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any "Fear of Flying" Suggestions?
View Single Post
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:53 am
ACB

I would suggest an aisle seat, a book, and an iPod. Over the past few years I've become increasingly anxious about flying, I have no idea why. I don't let that stop me from doing it though.

It's the takeoff I hate, which used to be my favorite part, I'm OK once we hit cruising. That's one of the reasons I prefer the aisle, because it's easier to avoid looking out the window. I can sleep on planes so I usually try to nap when the door closes and will wake up at crusing. If that doesn't work, the book and the iPod do.

Turbulence also bothers me a great deal. When it happens, I focus on a flight attendant. It's routine to them, and seeing that they're not bothered always calms me. If they're not worried, I shouldn't be either.

A couple of drinks help too, but that's not a solution for a 16-year-old. A few short years...

Bums me out, because I do enjoy traveling and my anxiety has really put a damper on it. If it ever gets to the point that I can't fly because of it, I'll seek psychological help, but it's not so severe that I see that happening.