FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any "Fear of Flying" Suggestions?
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:12 am
Iluvsafeflights

Programs: HH Silver, IHG Platinum, National Ex Elite, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by FlynGyn
Hi all -- long time lurker, recent first time poster.

My 16 year old neice had a very bumpy flight from DEN - MIA last summer and now has told her Mom (my sis) that she is afraid to fly back to DEN in July for her internship. She is not a frequent flyer but her internship is 1) important to her, 2) enjoyable and 3) good for her career path. She wants to go but is scared to death about getting back on a plane.

I have done a search of the forums and Googled the terms but have turned up precious few ideas that do not wreak of snake oil. I hope that some of the FF'ers on this board can steer me / her in the right direction. Thanks in advance.........
I have been flying since I was 17. I joined the army then and flew home whenever I could. I never had a problem until I was stationed in Korea in 1986. The flight over was straight out of a movie and scared me so bad, I extended my one year tour 2 more years because I was scared to fly home.

I fly now for work but still have the fear, as irrational as it may be. I have a prescription for Xanax that really helps. I would bet that if she saw her family doctor and explained the situation, he would issue a low dosage (prob 0.25mg) prescription for the flight(s). This might not be the solution you are looking for and probably not the best long term solution, but for a one time journey I am sure it will help. Before you flame me remember I am just offering a suggestion.