FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 8:39 pm
GTITAN

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Greetings:

This talk of seats on NW-DL v. AA in FC, if comparing apples to apples (i.e. internationally equipped bird to internationally equipped bird), is a really big YMMV situation. Being both a NW PE and AA EXP and having flown both down to HNL in the last year, think I can speak on this one and here is the tale of the tape as with respect to hard product only:

NW:
NW-DL on the 747 out of ATL and NW out of MSP on the A333. It is the same Business Elite/World Business Class (in old NW speak) seat FWIW.

NW-DL birds have 60 inches of pitch with a 176 degree recline lie flat seat. Working AVOD at the seat with about about a 10 inch screen. Seats vary in width from 20 inches to 20.25 inches.

AA:

AA is the 763 out of DFW and/or LAX.

AA birds have 58-60 inches of pitch and are "lie flat" (you can get them pretty horizontal if you manipulate the settings but takes some work). There is no AVOD to HNL on the 763 (there is of course AVOD to "international destinations" on the 763). Seat width is only 18.5 inches.

For just hard product, IHMO, I prefer NW-DL with AVOD and greater pitch.

Now as to food, printed menus and the like, DL-NW, as documented on the NW board has scaled back service levels (no more menus, meaningful meal choices etc.). AA has printed menus.

All in all it is pretty close.

Finally, as to award availability, need to be careful on this one, as NW-DL tends to start releasing a good deal of inventory close in. Taking a look at July, there is inventory at saver levels for FC every week departure and return. Also note, I did not log in as an NW PE where we get expanded inventory as EXP might on AA.

Hope folks find this useful.

EDIT TO ADD: Not going to address ability to use stickers, complimentary nature of upgrades on AA to mileage/SWU upgrade only on higher fares only on NW-DL, and/or AA FAs v. NW-DL FAs and the like. All of that probably swings AA's way IHMO.

Safe Travels

Last edited by GTITAN; Jun 27, 2009 at 6:37 am Reason: clarifications in response to immediately below post