FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Poinsett, Greenville, SC [Master Thread]
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:21 pm
Helena Handbaskets

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
It's not a typical Westin. It's in an old "historical" building, and the interiors reflect that (in a good way). Aside from the turn-of-the-century ambiance, I don't find anything especially wonderful about it, except that it offers SPG credit for stays when I'm in Greenville, nor do I find anything particularly regrettable. It's a nice, upscale, comfortable hotel. The rooms are spacious, but to me they've always seemed to have the vibe of a bare, empty room with some furniture in them, as opposed to a well-decorated living space, if that makes any sense. Valet parking is available, but the self-parking is conveniently located. A nice workout room, if maybe a bit smallish. I think the hotel may not have a pool. No club lounge. Breakfast buffet is nice, including made-to-order omelets. As a SPG platinum, I've been upgraded to a suite about half the time. The hotel generally accepts the SPG50 coupon, which can sometimes offer a savings.

The best thing about this Westin is its location on Greenville's Main Street, where some nice restaurants can be found, and near the recently-developed riverfront. There's plenty of good dining on the "downtown" side of the river, but if you like Brazilian steak, cross the river and keep going for a block or so (walkable). I've forgotten the name of the restaurant, but I'm sure the Westin concierge will know.