FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aisle chair customers
View Single Post
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:43 pm
DeafFlyer

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by thehipcrip

I, too, am pretty dismayed that the only training airline agents receive in this area comes from videos. If airline employees REALLY want to be as helpful as possible when it comes to assisting chair using pw/ds, go through the aisle chair experience yourself. To come as close to the real effect as possible without actually being disabled, duct tape your legs together, put pebbles in your shoes (to discourage you from trying to bear weight) get into regular wheelchair, and then go through the process of transferring to an aisle chair and onto/off of a plane. Want the extreme experience, which I go through multiple times a year? Do it at an airport without jetways and a broken lift so you need to be carried up/down the stairs and onto/from the plane.

I guarantee you that firsthand experience, along with asking each passenger what they prefer in terms of assistance, will teach you more about how to be helpful than any video ever will.
I like that idea alot! ^ To experience what it is like for those of us with multiple disabilities, they should also do it blindfolded, or with an IPOD blasting in their ears so they cannot hear what the people at the gate are saying.