FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Hanoi Opera {VNM}[Closing 1 Dec 22 for conversion to WA]
Old Jul 19, 2002, 9:23 pm
hfly
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What Jane Fonda did during the war was disgusting and I do not like her for that and other reasons, however I do believe that your rant above is pretty far into left field.

Yes there was a prison which was nicknamed the "Hanoi Hilton" by the airmen who were kept there. It has nothing to do with the Hilton Hanoi Opera.

I find it amazing that anyone would have this sort of feeling towards Vietnam at this place and time. The US has full diplomatic relations with Vietnam and there is no animosity over there. It has been 30 years since the US pulled out AND for that matter Senator McCain has stayed in the Hilton Hanoi Opera on at least several occasions in recent years and has enjoyed it greatly, so why shouldn't anyone else.

Yes the US lost close to 60,000 people in Nam and it was a dirty terrible war. To put it in perspective however we lost many times that in WW2 yet by 1975 (30 years after the end of the war) the US had invested over $600 Billion (in todays money) in Germany and Japan and US troops were defending these countries.