FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Want to use PMUs. Don't have any though (yet).
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:11 pm
DLATL777

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by syd999
I have a TATL flight next Saturday that I would like to use a platinum upgrade certificate in order get an upgrade. I have verified with reservations that there is space for an upgrade. However, I just made Platinum medallion two weeks back and don't think I will receive my Platinum package in the mail within the next week. Based on your previous experiences, I was wondering if any of the following options were available for me to upgrade:

1) Is there a way to expedite the platinum package to me?
2) Can I use an expired certificate from last year (expired Feb 2009) to upgrade?
3) Use miles to upgrade now and when I get my platinum certificates (probably a couple weeks after the flight), use one of those and get my miles credited back?
4) Explain my situation to a gate agent and get a complimentary upgrade if none of the above are available?

I know I can use 50000 miles to upgrade round trip but I prefer not to do that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

1. No. The reps you speak to on the phone have no say in this.
4. NO, this is probably the least likely of all of them.

What you need to do is secure the upgrade under the assumption that you are going to use miles. Tell this to the representative, but also make sure to tell him or her that you might get your PMU's, so you do not want the miles pulled in advance. If the day of the flight arrives and your PMU's have not yet arrived, let the check in agent know, and you will need to use your miles.

Last edited by DLATL777; Jun 19, 2009 at 1:34 pm