FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL Gold SkyMiles AMEX Credit Card Offer E-mail 5/1/09 [35-50k + SkyClub Passes]
Old Jun 17, 2009, 1:06 pm
ExitRowAisle

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by lostone
Just signed up to the forum after lurking for a few months.

I have had a Skymiles Gold Amex card for many years.

So I assumed that if I applied again with the offer 25K/15K/2Pass that I would just get the difference between what I may have gotten so many years ago.

Was ready to hit the Verify button and noticed the 13.24% APR that the card will assess on purchases. Checked my latest Skymiles Amex statement and the current APR is just 6.24%.

Seems to be less attractive now for me... more than double the APR to get an as now unknown mileage bonus.
If the interest rate charged by a frequent flyer credit card factors into your decision making, it's probably not the right product for you. Once you begin paying interest on your purchases, the value of frequent flyer miles earned is completely negated.

(Occasionally, I've seen people discuss 0% balance transfer offers that actually earn miles on various airlines. This is probably the only instance I can think of that interest rates play into whether or not one should use a airline-branded credit card. But before anyone asks, I am not aware of any of these types of promos currently being offered.)

Last edited by ExitRowAisle; Jun 17, 2009 at 1:14 pm