FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Blue Mountains: Need suggestions for touring
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:54 am
craz
Suspended

Originally Posted by onedog
We are headed to Australia next week so this is a timely thread!

Do you mean you took a intra-Sydney train from Circular Quay to Sydney Central Station and then the CityRail Train from Sydney Central Station to Katoomba? How long was the train ride from Sydney Central Station to Katoomba? Going up to the Blue Mounts, on which side of the train was it better to sit to view scenery etc.?

When you arrived at the Blue Mountains, how much was the Silver Pass? Is the Silver Pass only good for the train/cable car up and down the valley? You mention that you could redo, you would take the train both ways. Why?

How long was this walk? The reason I ask is that we are traveling with two youngin's, and I need to know how long of a walk to expect. Is the walk strenous? Leisurely?

You mention "Central". Is this the Sydney Central Station? Do we just catch the CityRail train to Katoomba?

What is the "Explorer Bus"? Is this a bus service up at the Blue Mountains area?

Thanks,

Onedog
1- The train from Central took appx 2 hrs if I remember correctly , it does make stops every so often. It doesnt run along the Rim so views arent great, It does run along the main hway so if you go by bus dont expect to see anything different. Its a 2 level car

2- You buy the Silver Pass at Scenic World, I think it was 25AUD but that was with a 1 way on the SkyWay. 28AUD for a return on the SkyWay but a waste if you are heading over to Echo Pt and 3 sisters area. You need to ask for this its not listed on the menu.

b) we walked all thru the boardwalk paths and took the CableCar up but from the sounds of the people on the train it sounded like alot more fun. What you see from the Cable car can be seen simply by walking around the top especially if you take the SkyWay over to the other side

3- the Walk from the station to Scenic is 1/2 hr slightly uphill and at times no sidewalk. It will be difficult walking from the other side of SkyWay to Echo Pt and 3 sisiters, especially to the 3 sisiters as there are 100+ steps and its steep. I believe you can walk along a roadway (we walked along the path that goes along the rim dirt and at times muddy). I think the only way to get to the 3 sisters is via the trail at Echo Pt

The biggest problem with the Explorer Bus is , if you just miss it like numerous people we saw keep doing, then you have to wait another 1/2 hr till the next one comes along

Its a good way to kill a day but I liked the Grand Canyon much more