FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL Gold SkyMiles AMEX Credit Card Offer E-mail 5/1/09 [35-50k + SkyClub Passes]
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:16 am
Mixmaster300

Originally Posted by Boilertube
I got the Gold Amex as soon as they offered it, back in February. Prior to that I used the US Bank Visa for work exoenses (hotels AND airline tickets) and had a $60,000 credit limit. I intended to replace the VIsa with Amex. The Amex came with a $10,000 limit. I immediately called and asked for a higher limit. Amex's answer was to call back after 60 days - their policy is to not allow any increase in credit limit within the first 60 days. For 2 months, I used the Amex for hotels and the US Banks Visa for airline tickets. On day 61 I call. They ask for some additional financial information and then tell me that the only way they can consider increasing my limit is with a copy of my 2008 US tax return! I point out that there are credit agencies, etc, that can provide this information and that no credit card or loan application has ever asked for this before. They basically tell me that they don't care and if I want them to consider increasing my limit, to fax them my tax return. I refuse to do it and am stuck with the relatively low limit. After another week, I call back to see if a different agent can be more flexible. I get the same story.

Just came back from some expensive international travel where the airfare was on the Visa card, with hotels on the Amex and decided to call Amex one more time. The representative tells me that since I have essentially called 4 times to ask for a credit extension, there is no way that they will ever consider increasing my limit without my tax return. It doesn't matter to them if my bills are paid on time, how much I spend, none of that matters.

In every phone call, I explained my need to use the card to cover hotels and airline tickets - mainly on NWA/Delta - and that $10,000 just isn't enough. I suggested that they look at my NWA account to see the value of the tickets. They simply do not care! They may be eager to get new customers, BUT THEY SURE AREN'T EAGER TO KEEP CUSTOMERS ONCE THEY GET THEM!!

I intend to keep the card for the fee free one year and then get rid of it - unless Amex, out of the goodness of their heart, increases my limit on their own.

NWA/Delta management really screwed up when they decided to dump US Banks!!!
There are more stories just like yours and how American Express does not care about current customers with good credit historys.

http://www.my3cents.com/search.cgi?c...erican+Express

I think there will be many who signed up for the Delta American Express who will do like you are doing, drop the card after the first year.