FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Honors Gold versus Hilton Honors Diamond: What Are the Differences?
Old Feb 25, 2002, 6:18 am
The_Diamond_Z

Gold -> Diamond. Worth the trouble?

A question for Diamond members:

I'm a Gold member of HHonnors (who isn't) at the moment and using the 2 for 1 promotion I believe I can make Diamond with about 4 "extra" stays (some hotel hopping) by Mar 31. Is it worth the bother?

I'm looking for 2 things: Nicer rooms and the ability to get more for the Hilton points when I spend them. I don't really mind about the other features of Diamond (welcome gift, guaranteed reservations).

I've been to 3 properties in the last week (1 UK, 2 US) and had an upgrade at all three.
When I asked the front desk at each if I would have gotten anything more as a Diamond member, they said not really. So I ask you, what's a Diamond member get in the way of upgrades that a Gold member doesn't? Looking at the details on the Web site, I don't really see a difference in the kind of upgrades.

I've never redeemed any Hilton points before (I'm nearing 600K), but when I do I'd like to get the max for them. I see there are are no blackout dates for Diamond, but do you also get upgrades and such when redeeming points? Do you get better offers?

I wouldn't normally bother with Diamond, but as I'm not that far away and it looks like Diamond status would last until April 2004 it might be worth it as I'm planning on doing a good bit of travelling later this year.

When I travel it's my money I spend and I like to fly coach and stay at good business class hotels (Hilton & Marriott) to recover. In my mind, the hotel is a fixed cost but if Diamond/Gold get me more for that fixed cost then I'm very interested.

Your thoughts?