FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hawaii (all islands)
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:31 pm
ehallison

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
We're planning a trip to Hawaii and before I finalize the air & hotel I wanted to ask, will we *like* Wailea? I've read every thread I can find on the Marriott Wailea but can't get a feel for whether it's more like the Ihilani or the Waikoloa.

We have stayed at Ko'olina twice and loved it. We walked around the Ihilani and just loved the hotel; ate there several times and loved the restaurants. Although it seems remote, it didn't bother us. Kapolei was close enough when we wanted to grab some deli sandwiches for lunch or eat a cheap brekkie at L&L. I was really looking forward to a stay at the Ihilani this time, but hubby wants to try Maui. (we've been to Oahu 3 times and the Big Island once...I guess he's right).

On the other hand, we had the misfortune of staying at the Waikoloa for one night and *hated* it. The hotel seemed bigger and more impersonal than the Ihilani and didn't have the gorgeous open architecture and spaces. Our room was tiny (we weren't upgraded despite Plat status). We walked across to the shopping center for dinner and wanted something fast since it was late. The food court was crowded, loud, and expensive. The breakfast at the hotel in the morning was expensive and very average (yes, I know hotel breakfast is expensive, but we had similarly priced breakfasts at Ko'olina and Ihilani that were much better).

If you've been to the Wailea and one or both of these other hotels and can weigh in, I'd appreciate it!