FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - An FTer flies to a Do (or Why take the nonstop when you can fly 10 flights instead?)
Old May 28, 2009, 3:01 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
CAIRNS to PORT MORESBY (CNS-POM) on Air Niugini Fokker 100 in economy class

I arrived a bit early and was surprised to find check in only opens 2 hours prior to departure. There were 2 check in agents for this flight, one clearly very new and being trained up. Fearing a lengthy discussion about my odd travel pattern I fortunately I got the other agent. I was checked in quickly but wasn't able to get the boarding pass for the return flight.

Immigration was fast. Security not so fast. The lack of other passengers passing through security at that time meant I got the "random" explosives test and pat down. I then headed for the Qantas Club only to find it gone, replaced by a contract lounge that apparently is only used by Cathay Pacific and not open. Dang. I realised I had seen a post in the Qantas forum about the international lounge closing (following the switch of international flights from mainline to Jetstar), but forgot that it had already happened. I was briefly tempted to go back landside to visit the domestic lounge but decided the immigration hassle was not worth it.

There wasn't much to do in the terminal - a couple of mediocre shops, the compulsory overpriced coffee shop with overpriced internet kiosks, and some seats. Even the view of the tarmac wasn't great although I watched the Air NZ A320 carrying boxo to OzFest pull in. Boredom set in quickly so I stumped up for an hour of internet and a coffee while I waited.

The flight was eventually called, about 30 minutes late, and an Airlines PNG flight departing almost the same time. Based on my checks the previous day on availability, and the emptiness of the terminal I knew the load would be light and so hung back to be almost the last to board. Surprisingly for such a small aircraft we had an airbridge gate - the airbridge dwarfing the aircraft. Onboard I noticed I'd been seated next to someone else on the 2 side (seat layout is 2-3) but there were lots of empty rows on the 3 side so I nabbed one. I thought I'd scored a whole row, not that it matters much on this 80 minute flight, but the last passenger to board had coincidentally a seat in the row. Never mind we have an empty middle seat so I'm happy. We departed only slightly late as boarding was completed very quickly.

We took off to the south and turned to the northeast for Papua New Guinea. A lunch was quickly served. There was a chicken caesar salad, roll, plus plentiful drink selections. A mango ice block with ice cream core was handed out for desert.

By the time lunch trays were collected we crossed the coast and flew up a valley under threatening skies to reach the airport. We pulled into a stand next to a Qantas 767. Hmmm that is odd - Qantas no longer fly to Papua New Guinea. Indeed it was an Air Niugini flight but with Qantas aircraft, presumably temporarily. A short walk across the tarmac and upstairs.