FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So I'm 17 and will be flying by myself....
Old May 28, 2009, 3:18 am
SDF_Traveler

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by YCTTSFM
My point is that not only air travel, but law/attitudes towards minors have drastically changed over the years, and recently at a faster pace. Assuming the OP's experiences will resemble yours of past decades may be reassuring, but misleading.
While my solo travel as a 16-17 y.o. was pre-9/11, we're still talking about the 1990's here. When DB Cooper made his 1971 jump out of a 727, I was waiting in another queue, not quite in the jet age yet

Things have changed with the TSA's "Security Theatre" and on-board service is now almost non-existent, but when it comes to checking-in, going through security, and boarding a plane it's the same drill (aside from the TSA being in place).

As JBLUA320 said:
Originally Posted by JBLUA320
Just show up, check in, print your boarding pass, go to security, tell them you're under 18, go through security, find your gate, get on board, and have a great trip!
That pretty much sums up my experience when I was 17 and doesn't appear to be misleading.