FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So I'm 17 and will be flying by myself....
Old May 28, 2009, 2:23 am
spotnik

Originally Posted by monie_17
Hi Everyone,
I'm 17 years old, and I will be flying domestically. I am still in high school and the only picture ID I have is my school ID. It turns out that TSA doesn't accept school IDs as acceptable form of ID, however it also turns out that those under 18 don't need a picture ID. I'm a little confused about this though. I went to several websites to look this up and found some confusing answers. In some place it says "if you are under 18, you don't need a picture ID but you need to be accompanied with someone who has a picture ID, such as a legal guardian". In another place it says "you parent has to deliver you to the gate and wait for you until your plane takes off". In another one it says "you need an ID no matter what because you might need to prove that you are under 18 and the TSO might not be convinced". By the way I look VERY young, more like 15-16. I also read somewhere that "anyone over 16 can fly unaccompanied, however if you are traveling by yourself and over age 16 you will be treated like an adult, meaning you will need to present a picture ID. Which one applies to me?!?! I am 17 and I will be flying alone. I will be visiting a friend that lives in another state and she's 17 also. I will come to airport by myself with public transportation and I will have one connection but I'm sure I can manage myself in the airport. I won't need any help. I will just need to be able to get through the security check without a picture ID other than my school ID. Any info on that?!?!
You shouldn't need ID. Just tell the TDC that you're under 18. Check with your airline for their specific rules re: flying as a minor. I doubt they will require anything special at your age, and may not even offer the option if you want it.

As a hedge against problem/stupidity, I recommend the following:
1. Bring your school ID, if your are able to do so. It should be sufficient to back up your claim that your are under 18.
2. If possible, make sure a parent or adult guardian is available via phone to confirm that you have permission to travel.
3. Don't hesitate to ask for help, if you require it.
4. Don't hesitate to demand equal and respectful treatment from adults.
5. The credit/debit card is a good idea.
6. If you're going to be traveling alone frequently, check into taking a good self defense class, if you have not already done so.

Have a good trip, and stay safe.