FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So I'm 17 and will be flying by myself....
Old May 28, 2009, 12:11 am
SDF_Traveler

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by monie_17
Hi Everyone,
I'm 17 years old, and I will be flying domestically. I am still in high school and the only picture ID I have is my school ID. It turns out that TSA doesn't accept school IDs as acceptable form of ID, however it also turns out that those under 18 don't need a picture ID. I'm a little confused about this though. I went to several websites to look this up and found some confusing answers. In some place it says "if you are under 18, you don't need a picture ID but you need to be accompanied with someone who has a picture ID, such as a legal guardian". In another place it says "you parent has to deliver you to the gate and wait for you until your plane takes off". In another one it says "you need an ID no matter what because you might need to prove that you are under 18 and the TSO might not be convinced". By the way I look VERY young, more like 15-16. I also read somewhere that "anyone over 16 can fly unaccompanied, however if you are traveling by yourself and over age 16 you will be treated like an adult, meaning you will need to present a picture ID. Which one applies to me?!?! I am 17 and I will be flying alone. I will be visiting a friend that lives in another state and she's 17 also. I will come to airport by myself with public transportation and I will have one connection but I'm sure I can manage myself in the airport. I won't need any help. I will just need to be able to get through the security check without a picture ID other than my school ID. Any info on that?!?!
Just tell them you're under 18; I think you should be fine.

If they give you grief, just show them your school ID.

I did a lot of domestic travel on my own at 16-17 including trips with multiple connections without problem.

I wouldn't sweat it or worry about it - enjoy your trip!

SDF_Traveler

P.S. See if your parents can get you added as an "additional cardholder" on one of their accounts, so that you have a major credit card with your name on it for emergencies. Chances are you won't need it, but you never know. --- If not, see if you can get a debit card with the Visa or MasterCard logo. I believe PayPal provides student debit cards and it is funded by the money in your PayPal account. It's always a good idea to have a card of some type just in case you mis-connect / flight gets canceled and you need a hotel room for the night.

Last edited by SDF_Traveler; May 28, 2009 at 12:33 am