FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A New Low for the New Delta
View Single Post
Old May 26, 2009, 5:04 pm
dusdidt

Programs: Gold MileagePlus
Straight out an airline TV commercial

Originally Posted by tonypct
Agree that DL owns the culture but it's the NW reputation for poor FA and GA service that concerns me the most. My biggest issue throughout this whole merger has always been that the NW culture will drag down the DL culture. If that happens, I'm gone from DL too.
We Worldperks Elites who are best able to compare NW and DL GA service best since we've been flying NW for decades and now DL. We are best able to notice the difference, not some DL plats here who seemingly are here to tamp down NW Elites' complaints and pep up DL. Obviously, DL Plats would be hard pressed to compare the gate agent service in cramped, old and disorganized ATL with NW gate agent service in spacious and efficient DTW. Unfortunately, I have been connecting in ATL all this year and subjected to the DL gate proceedure and culture that would happily eliminate the GA if possible. When I first started flying via ATL, I was shocked by the DL GAs diminished customer service that has become overly reliant on the flat screen monitors at the gate to communicate all info to passengers so that many DL GAs never looking up from their computers, often seeming to discourage passengers from approaching the counter. Passenger linger in front, hesitant to speak up. Being in the travel industry, I examine all aspects of travel when I fly. When I first started flying DL regularly, I went up twice to a DL GA with my old BP to ask if I needed a new BP. The GA never lifted her head from typing in the CRS and never spoke one word to me but only motioned with her head toward the monitor or nodded or shook her head to each question. I finally had to telephone Delta from the gate to get a full explanation to my BP and procedural questions. Every time this year, I connected through ATL except once through DTW. and I tell you traveling through DTW is a superior experience. The DTW GA's are former NW agents, even if they now wear DL's uniforms, are trained in engaging not avoiding the passengers because they have not yet been reduce by the DL automated info monitor and become passenger phobic. If DL plats here prefer an automated voice recognition phone system over a real person when they phone their airline Elite desk, then they maybe will certainly find DL GAs better than NW. I sure don't.

But on most my recent DL trip through ATL, at gate B6 I once again got that head motioning passenger ignoring GA but also witnessed an unforgetable scene. The waiting DL pilot of my departing flight to LGA, Captain Robert Woods, notice a perplexed passenger who the GA was ignoring. He asked to looked at her BP and seeing she was at the wrong gate, he looked up her gate and walked her over to it. When our incoming plane arrived, a deplaning passenger at our gate seemed lost and Captain Woods came from behind the counter and asked if she needed help. The elderly lady was connecting to a DL flight to Nigeria in E concourse. He took her roller and walked her all the way to the the train. It was an imaginary sequence that one only sees in an airline TV commercial having us believe that flying is still smiling, caring, and friendly. But this was real. I went up and told how much I appreciated his exceptional care and professionalism. Captain Robert Woods reminded me of the professionalism of Captain Sullenberger. I felt very safe on my flight to LGA and happy to be flying Delta.

Last edited by dusdidt; May 26, 2009 at 7:14 pm