FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nice/Monaco Rail or Air?
View Single Post
Old May 26, 2009, 4:02 pm
FragranceMarketingGuy

Programs: UA Gold = nothing, UA Million Miler; Alaska MVP Gold 100K
Nice/Monaco Rail or Air?

Hi-

My partner and I are catching a cruise the end of August in Monte Carlo. My dilemma is the following, we're already booked on CO to ZRH, but will change it to either GVA or MXP and connect on to NCE or Monaco. Here are the following scenarios, any advice or comments are appreciated:

1) Fly into MXP and connect at Milano Centrale for a train to Monaco. Change fee is minimal and the First Class Rail Ticket is reasonable. Approximately 2.5 hours connecting time (please remember our flight is arriving from EWR <cough><cough> EWR + August = DELAYS. I realize there is no train service to Milano Centrale and the connection to the station will have to be either via coach or taxi.

2) Fly into GVA and connect with Easy Jet to NCE. Approximately 6.5 hours connection time. Easy Jet has an OK price. Will just head into town and have a cup of coffee with some friends.

3) Looked into connecting at CDG with AF, but the add/collect on our fare is pretty steep. If I booked the ticket independently, the fare is still pretty high. Easy Jet does not offer a good connection at CDG, would have to wait approximately 12 hours.

4) No connections from MXP, AMS or FRA (if so, fares are pretty high).

Any thoughts? Rail (hedging we'll do this) or just wait in GVA?

Thanks for your help.

-Jim