FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)
Old May 26, 2009, 3:58 am
MegatopLover

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Bad news indeed. In Chiang Mai last night, Kasikorn Bank and Bank of Ayudhyah were both charging the hated fee. Both brought up a screen announcing the fee and gave me an opportunity to abandon the transaction, which I promptly did. I checked with TMB, and they're charging it too. I checked at least one other, but I can't remember which one.

Now, I'm off to find a UOB branch or ATM to see if I can get some cash without this annoying fee. Failing that, I'll be withdrawing the maximum amount allowed by most of the banks here: 20,000 baht. Spreading the fee over that amount, it comes in at .75%. On top of what Wachovia will hit me for--another 2.5%--this means I'll be going back to the dark ages of Amex t-cheques for my next trip.

BTW: Passing through Suvarnabhumi today, I saw only Siam Commercial and TMB booths and ATM's. But I wasn't really looking very hard.