FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rediculous Chinese visa fees
View Single Post
Old May 25, 2009, 8:05 am
jimbo99

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Incidentally... Taiwanese passport holders now no longer need to apply in advance for a visa when coming to the UK. In response UK passport holders now get 90 days visa-exempt entry to Taiwan (extendable to 180 days). Almost everyone else gets 30 days or needs a visa in advance. A misguided response in my opinion - 30 days is enough for practically any legitimate purpose in Taiwan - it will be great for illegal English teaching.

I was told by a bloke on Kinmen (not part of Taiwan but governed by the "naughty" ROC regime in Taipei - it's right by the mainland coastline) that you don't need a Chinese visa to enter Ximen from Kinmen. Certainly Taiwanese don't need to go through the usual procedure. Think it's day trips only.

Now there's a funny thing. China so keen on the "one country" thing - but I can pitch up in Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan without any pre-hassle. Not true of Taiwanese visiting HK or the mainland, or mainland Chinese visiting HK, Macau (?), or Taiwan.

Incidentally, Brits still get 180 days on entry to HK - unlike other EUs. No grudges for all that colonial aggression.

I think the reciprocity thing is misguided - certainly Vietnam loses tourist business because neighbouring countries are less hasslesome to loaded tourists. But "up to them" is my view.