FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}
View Single Post
Old Oct 14, 2001, 2:47 pm
drtravels
Suspended

I stayed there 1 night last August on a departing morning flight and wasn't overly impressed. 4-5 on a 1-10 scale.

a. The Hilton seems pretty nice (~EUR144/night), is it?

Again, 4-5 and I thought the staff (front desk, exec lounge, and pool)wasn't very pleasant but they could have been busy.

b. How reliable is the train? It claims to run once an hour and take 30 min.

I think the express runs more often. No problem

c. Any opinions on staying at the Hilton if I'm in Rome for two or more days? One day?

Stay in the city unless less than 10 hours before your flight.

d. Does FCO still have a checked-luggage facility? It's on their website but I wonder if recent events will have changed that. (I recall that LHR did have such a service and CDG didn't, earlier this year). If I only had a small carry-on or even a backpack, staying in central Rome would seem more convenient.

Don't know.

e. Any recommendations on where to stay in Rome? I was looking at places near the train station and among others, Hotel des Artistes sounded good. 3 ***, non-smoking hotel, five blocks from train station.

Stayed at the Marriott and it was very nice. Award stay so it might be $$$$.

Any other suggestions will also be appreciated. I'm thinking of taking one or two half-day 3-hour bus tours if I'm there one day, and maybe trying for something guided if I stay two days (I know nothing of Rome, and I don't have a lot of time to get oriented).

I'm not into guided tours but certainly the Vatican/St. Peters and the Coliseum shouldn't be missed. Check out www.fodors.com and go to the travel talk area and search Italy/Rome for some more information and links.

I have no status with Hilton HHonors.

Thanks!
andrew[/B][/QUOTE]

Have fun.