FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Philippines recs?
View Single Post
Old May 22, 2009, 4:53 pm
marais

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Plat, Amtrak Select
Philippines recs?

I'm planning a trip to the Philippines later this year (late Nov/early Dec) and would welcome some helpful recommendations. Tentatively my plan is as follows:
  • 2 or 3 nights in Manila to get over jet lag
  • A week at least on the perfect beach: slightly off radar but accessible within a day's journey from Manila, not too heavily touristed but with simple services, surf calm enough for swimming/snorkeling, pristine water quality (unlike White Beach or Puerto Galera), fine sand and swaying palm trees a plus
  • 2 nights back in Manila to shift gears before flying home.
What I'm needing help on are these questions:
  • Is there a clean, comfortable place to stay that you could recommend in Manila? Preferably with free WiFi and breakfast included. Doesn't have to be near Makati, but easy access to a friendly bar (sans macho dancers, ladyboys or rentboys) would be nice.
  • What beach destination would you suggest? I'm looking for something other than Puerto Galera or Boracay White Beach, they seem way too touristed and I have concerns over ocean water quality.
  • Any suggestion for places to stay at that perfect beach? I'd rather not stay at a sequestered resort (done that), nor would I like a tent on the beach (done that too), something in between on the beach (preferably with WiFi) would be good. Small hotel, modest cottage, B&B...you get the idea.
Thanks in advance for your advice!