FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for Spending 140k miles?
View Single Post
Old May 21, 2009, 1:39 pm
littlevoices

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by salvadors
Are there any restrictions on the number of coupons or sectors or where you can stopover? Or is it just a matter of it being a valid route, and then it's charged based on the start/end point and you can have a stopover anywhere the plane goes?
I've got limited experience, you can check the redemptions thread for more info/examples, but really it seems like as long as its a reasonable stopover they won't make a fuss. The main rule is no backtracking - but even limited backtracking is allowed when it seems reasonable (e.g. my CPH-ZRH-NRT-ICN is theoretically a backtrack on the NRT-ICN segment, but its a very reasonable one as you can't get to ICN in F easily from CPH and its a stopover)

To my mind your routing of; CPH-(BKK)-NRT-(HKG)-AKL-(YVR)-CPH seems reasonable (ish) due to the stopover, although its more than 50% of the distance its not crazy.

And you're right, a RTW isn't a good deal and probably only gets sold to people who don't read flyertalk or the rules carefully

And I think your sums work too (but who'd go economy, and who wouldn't do Cash+Miles)

Good luck with your booking