FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge
Old May 20, 2009, 3:42 pm
Diplomatico

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge

Drove an Avis rental less than 75 miles in Norfolk, VA last month. Filled the car up with gas on the way to the airport and turned it in. CSR charges me $10.50 for fuel. I tell her I filled the car up on the way, check the gas gauge. She asks me for a receipt. I have none so she insists on charging me $10.50 for gas even though she annotates 8/8 on the "fuel in" portion of my recieipt.

My rental "contract" consisted of a paper card that said nothing about bringing a receipt or < 75 miles incurring a fuel charge. I wrote to Avis to complain and got this reponse:

Dear Mr. Diplomatico:

"Thank you for contacting Avis via www.avis.com. Please accept my sincere apology for the delay in responding to your email.

The automatic refueling fee of $10.50 was initiated to allow our renters who drive less than 75 miles the convenience of returning the vehicle without having to locate a gas station on their way back to the airport.

I apologize if you were unaware of this program. In order for us to
document your case and/or to consider an amendment to the charges we
will need you to fax a copy of the gas receipt showing you purchased
fuel prior to return. Our fax number is 918-270-2920. Please include
Avis Case number XXXXXX on the fax document.

In the future, if you have driven the vehicle less than 75 miles and
choose to purchase fuel prior to returning the vehicle, please provide a
receipt of the fuel purchased at time of check in."

Complete and total rip-off. Time to switch rental car companies.