FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QF 29/30- Mel -HKG-LHR- First avail. gone all July and August
Old May 18, 2009, 11:02 pm
QF NB

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Exclamation Important

From 06JUL-31OCT QF29/QF30 will be operated by 2/3/4-class 747-400s (three/four-class 744s with F sold as J), resulting in the loss of a true First product. For the month of July, random dates will still show F availability (however restricted this may be).

I’d argue that Qantas would have simply conducted an exhaustive review of the route and found that there was a lack of full-fare paying F passengers (too many passengers upgrading or on deeply discounted tickets perhaps?). Factor in CX’s apparent success with the new 2-class (J/Y) 33B product in Melbourne, I think Qantas has woken and smelt the roses. Then again the removal of F on QF29/QF30 could be for completely different reasons and is something that may never be revealed. I wouldn’t think maintenance requirements or commitments have anything to do with the situation and neither would product upgrades.

First should be available for sale for travel from November (with the introduction of the NS09/10 schedules) onwards, however if further research and analysis suggests that the route does not warrant F, the premium product may not return to QF29/QF30 (brings MEL into line with BNE/ADL/PER-HKG services).

I would envisage Qantas will begin contacting those affected passengers in due course and I’d keep an eye on the infamous Qantas Agents website (has a history of showing unpopular product/schedule changes).

Cheers