FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oversize bags and Interline agreements
View Single Post
Old May 18, 2009, 7:31 pm
clarence5ybr

Originally Posted by citizenoftheworld
Yes, I am traveling on the same ticket, but after collecting my bags at ATL and going through immigration/customs I have a domestic connection (ATL-JAX). I am confused about DL's intepretation of this segment and whether or not they would charge me for the surfboards, but based on your explanation the answer is no, correct?
To clarify, upon your initial checkin in DPS, your baggage will get tags that check it all the way through to JAX, and DL treats this all as one itin, so there will not be a separate charge for the ATL-JAX segment. You only pay excess baggage charges once per direction on any given ticket, no matter how many segments and whether or not they are int'l or domestic.

Your surfboards and any checked bags will come to you on a carousel in ATL. You then go through customs. After customs, you'll go to a large area containing a conveyor belt. You yourself will put your bags and boards on the belt, where they disappear into baggage-handling-land. No DL employee will be present with a scale or tape measure--they know if you're connecting to another DL flight, you've already paid whatever overweight/oversize/over limit fees that you owe, so there's no reason for them to be checking weight/size/number of bags at that point.