FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Compensation Definitive Thread
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2009, 12:58 pm
miledlaa

Delta/NW flight delay, missed connection overnite delay - no compensation

I booked a award travel for my wife & my 4 year old from JFK-> DTW -> PIA via NW 1507 & NWA 2537. The flight from JFK to DTW(NWA 1507) got delayed and reached the destination 2 hours late(8:16pm instead of 6:20pm). There was no weather realted delay.
Needless to say, 2 hour late arrival caused a missed connection...and that was the last flight from DTW to PIA...This was yesterday(05/16)

The airline rebooked the flight for next day at 3pm..but didn't offer
1. Any compensation like giving a hotel stay and/or meal vouchers
2. Refused to book on a flight to other nearest airport.

This was my wife's first flight alone...and she was traumatized by the DL/NW agent behavior...who asked for another full fare payment, for rebooking for next available flight to nearest airport..and just plain refused to help my wife with giving a hotel stay. With 4 year old being sleepy and hungry drove him crazy, driving my traumatized wife speechless and she went blank.

Luckily, We had a friend's friend who helped out my wife and son and gave a stay at his home, which is 20mins from the airport at midnight.
Apart from all the struggle & trauma my wife went through, I was wondering, is it right to expect airlines to help with hotel stay/meal vouchers.
She is right now still waiting for her flight(05/17) at the gate at the DTW...and I am hoping/praying her luggage which was checked in yesterday at JFK will arrive along with her flight.

The reason I am asking about compensation/help is that her return flight is from PIA->ATL->HPN next week..and there is almost 2 hr gap...but if the connection gets missed...she will be in same state again(hopefully not)....maybe she will learn and ask for her help and maybe get it.
Knowing whats to expect will help.

Thanks