FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - July 2009 eclipse and viewing from Zhoushan (near Shanghai)
Old May 16, 2009, 11:22 pm
RichardInSF
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bumping this because so far no one has given any car/driver recommendations -- and I'm not finding much anywhere else!

Clearly need to get out of the Shanghai area smog belt.

Also, there are apparently flights from Shanghai to Putoshan (mentioned above) -- how to find them?

Edited to add: I seem to have found them. There is one flight in the early AM which is too risky, might miss the eclipse. Have to go the night before (on the only other flight). Amazingly, there is a Sheraton Zhoushan on Putoshan, rooms come complete with LCD TVs, high speed internet, etc.

Kinda might be fun to fly over and take the boat back the next day. Now the question is: how to know if the weather will make it all worthwhile? And is there a reliable travel agent who I can communicate with from here to arrange this sort of trip? Seems like I could get the best level room in the Sheraton and pay the transport round trip for 2 for not much difference in cost to staying in the Park Hyatt Shanghai that night.

Last edited by RichardInSF; May 17, 2009 at 12:09 am