FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why would FA's block off a row of seats?
View Single Post
Old May 14, 2009, 8:26 pm
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Don't ER doctors, nurses, firefighters, etc. get naps when they are "on duty" but no emergency has occurred yet?
Is that why the wait at most ERs is so long... because the doctors and nurses are taking naps? Somehow that doesn't strike me as a common scenario.

A cop here in the Bay Area just pleaded guilty to vehicular manslaughter for plowing into a group of bikers last year. The excuse/reason given was two twelve hour shifts causing him to fall asleep behind the wheel. I don't think cops get naps during their shifts (and quite frankly, I think it's silly to put them on 12 hr shifts).

As for the blocking of the last row, I think it's fine to reserve them for FAs if there's plenty of space for passengers. But if, like codex57 told us, there was a family in front of him/her that was scattered all over the plane, I'd assume those folks asked for seats together and weren't accommodated, yet the last row was left empty (and unused). That doesn't make sense to me.