FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - is it illegal to hire someone to fly under your name?
Old May 14, 2009, 2:48 pm
tony2x

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by aaron1262
yes definitely illegal. could be done easily though if 2 people had the same name. like if my name is joe smith and my dad is joe smith sr.
One of my friends, we'll call her Jan, has two sisters and I kid you not they are also both called Jan. So for years they were sharing a single FF account with one of the larger European carriers. Unfortunately they got caught out because one of the Jans was boarding a plane in London while another one was in the air. This flagged their account and they lost all of their miles and status instantly. They tried to claim it was a mistake but the airline investigated and found that only one account had ever been registered and they had been doing this for some time. Now they are all banned from this particular airline's FF program.

So the moral of the story is, don't try and game the system it'll only end up costing you in the long run.