FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QF - Economy on LAX-SYD - What to Expect?
Old May 14, 2009, 12:33 pm
kmfdm91

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Again, thanks to everyone for the posts - this is great to read this stuff before booking a trip!

First, I do like NZ and their service and AVOD in the 747. I flew HNL-AKL-SYD last year, and luckily (the captains said it was an anomaly) both flights were on a 747! The AVOD was great, the service was nice and the legroom was decent - I didn't notice it too much...but then again, it was two shorter flights separated by a few days

That said, I'd definitely consider NZ for the flights, and the outbound is super cheap, but the return (for me - 03 Jan 2010) is ridiculously expensive. Tucked in the middle of this return trip is a RTW, leaving from Oz.

I like hearing the good things about QF - I believe for my dates that I'll book QF and endure the trip in Y...get a few RDMs on AA and enjoy the lounges.

In addition, the cheapest fares on NZ do NOT earn EQM or RDM when accruing toward UA Mileage Plus...so if I did in fact fly NZ and accrue towards UAMP, I'd get nothing. I'd get lounge access, but I'll get that during my RTW, since it's *A, and i'll obviously be visiting SYD and MEL

Thanks again - any more insight would be beneficial!

-jeremy