FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA to Sydney in economy class
View Single Post
Old May 12, 2009, 7:04 am
Downunder girl

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by camachinist
Think of a big tube with seats and a few toilets. If you go in with that expectation, anything the senior UA FA's provide will be icing. Personally, I've had better luck (with crews) routing through LAX. YMMV
Interesting. I have had better crews ex SFO, but crews from both ports have been mostly fabulous ^ apart from one LAX FA. So I guess its YMMV .

As marinersdave has rightly noted, the best way to cope with these flights is to SLEEP, SLEEP, SLEEP as much as you can on board and STAY awake on arrival for the day - no napping, as much as you want to . I find that generally I will need to sleep early (approx 9pm) on the night of my arrival in either USA or SYD. My daughter copes as well, we keep each other awake during the first day of our arrival. I tend to want to sleep around 4pm, so she keeps me talking .

ALAS I dont sleep well on flights and find myself lucky to do 5-6 hrs max in C class with ambien on board. I am concerned about my inability to sleep with my upcoming Y flights. I think flying Y is doable (positive thinking inserted here) and I have spare seats next to me, so far .

I am flying prepared: Ambien, neck pillow, portable DVD player, Ipod, drink chits, ear plugs, eye mask, C class amenity kit, book, own blanket (now they have limited supply on board). I hope that all works since I have to go straight to work on my arrival in SYD.

To the OP with children, I would recommend getting yourself some portable DVD players for the kids. You wont need them ex LAX or SFO as the flight leaves 11pm, but ex SYD flight leaves during the day, approx 1.45pm, depending on your destination and the kids will need some entertainment for that flight. Good luck.

Last edited by Downunder girl; May 12, 2009 at 7:32 am